God’s message to a world heading for destruction comes from three angels flying in the midst of heaven. Well actually there’s six angels and maybe seven if you read far enough. Whatever the number, God’s angels are busy sharing important messages with us. And seven angels would make a complete and perfect message – since that’s God’s perfect number. But that’s not the main point. Let’s move on to the messages because they certainly must be important. After all they show up right smack in the middle of this war on Revelation Mountain.
God is so good and so kind. He is trying to wake us up and save us from the dragon’s tricks. Let’s find out what these messages say. I know they’re important!
Enter Angel #1
“Then I saw another angel flying in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach to those who dwell on the earth—to every nation, tribe, tongue, and people— saying with a loud voice, “Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come; and worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water.” -Revelation 14:6-7 (NKJV)
This message is for everyone! No matter where you live, what country you’re from, what language you speak, this is for you! Just like Satan wants his message to go to the whole world, God’s message of love will go to the whole world.
“And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” -Matthew 24:14
What does it mean to fear God and give him glory? Does that mean we should be afraid of God? To fear God in the Bible means to take God seriously and to listen to him.
- Fear can mean to surrender to God and his will and to trust him (1 Sam. 12:14; Ps. 40:3; Jer. 44:10)
- The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom (Prov. 9:10)
- Those who fear God do what’s right (Exod. 18:21; Prov. 3:7; 16:6)
- To fear God is to serve him only – not other gods (Deut. 6:13-14)
- To fear and love God means to obey his commandments (Deut. 10:12-13; John 14:15)
All those verses show me that to fear God really means that we trust what he says and we get to know him better. If you really trust your dad, would you get out of the house if he said there was a fire and you needed to evacuate NOW! I bet you would. You wouldn’t stop to ask questions – would you? God wants us to trust him as well. He knows what’s best, even when we don’t understand everything. He wants us to obey him because we love and trust him. His ways will keep us safe from the devil’s sneaky lies.
So to fear God means to be totally committed to him and his ways. You’re either all in, or all out. There’s no middle ground.
His Judgment Has Come
The angel also says God’s judgment has come. It’s not coming sometime in the future. It’s here now. Now is the time to decide! The Bible says:
“For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?” -1 Peter 4:17
God is judging (deciding) – who is on my side? Who is not? God’s not looking to see if you’ve made any mistakes he can mark in his big book with red pen. Jesus took care of that by dying on the cross for you! He wants to make sure that everyone who goes to heaven is in it for the long haul. Forever is a long time to spend with a king you don’t trust. God wants to know you are happy with the ways of heaven. We must trust God’s ways here and now so he can take us to live with him then and there!
Worship Him Who Made…. Everything
Now that we fear God, we trust him and want to obey him, and we’ve chosen to be on his side completely the angel says here’s what to do.
Worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water.” Revelation 14:7
This reminds us of creation. In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth (Gen. 1:1). The devil is sure trying to stomp out that truth. The theory of evolution is treated as fact. Yes, some things change over time, but a dog has never evolved into a turtle, and we did not evolve from primordial slime or apes. We were made in the image of God (Gen. 1:27). God is calling all christians back to acknowledge God as the creator of heaven and earth.
By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, And all the host of them by the breath of His mouth. -Psaml 33:6
In an ironic twist, the end will come just like the beginning. God’s breath created and God’s breath will destroy. Praise the Lord it will be fair and righteous. All who call upon the name of the Lord will be saved (Acts 2:21).
But with righteousness He shall judge the poor, And decide with equity for the meek of the earth; He shall strike the earth with the rod of His mouth, And with the breath of His lips He shall slay the wicked. -Isaiah 11:4
How Should We Worship the Creator
How should we worship him who made the heaven and the earth, the sea and springs of water?
First, we look for clues. You may know by now that I don’t like to guess about these things. It’s important to see what God’s word says. He always seems to have the answers we need!
I found four clues! Here they are:
- Clue One: “For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.” (Exod. 20:11)
- Clue Two: “You alone are the Lord: You have made the heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth and everything on it, the seas, and all that is in them, and you preserve them all.” (Neh. 9:6) This is a long one so I’ll summarize. The people confessed their sins and promised to do all the commandments of the Lord, and His ordinances and his statues.
- Clue Three: “Happy is he whose hope is in the Lord his God, Who made the heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them.” (Ps. 146:5-6) He will take care of you when your hope is in Him.
- Clue Four: “Men, why are you doing these things? We also are men with the same nature as you, and preach to you that you should turn from these useless things to the living God, who made the heaven, the earth, the sea, and all things that are in them” (Acts 14:15). Don’t worship men or idols, worship God.
It’s quite simple really. The Bible says to worship the Creator God in these ways:
- Keep the seventh-day Sabbath holy by resting. It’s a weekly reminder that God created the world (read Exodus 20:8-11)
- Don’t just keep 3 commandments, or 9 commandments, or even 10 commandments. Do all that the Lord has commanded.
- Trust in God
- Don’t worship men or idols.
Simple but hard, because many christians have forgotten the one commandment that begins with the word “Remember”.
“Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.” -Exodus 20:8-11
The first angel’s message is loud and simple. What will you do?